Saturday, September 12, 2009

Labor Day in Colorado

I was invited to join friends for a few days on their vacation in Colorado. It took me about 2 minutes to decide I could figure out a way to make it work. So I joined Christy & Michael for Labor Day weekend in Avon, CO. My flight arrived several hours before theirs on Saturday, so I got my rental car and headed out to Dillon for some shopping. Then I went to Vail. Gourmet on Gore was in full swing - a food & wine festival, so I walked around and had some fun people watching. We got settled into the condo in Avon that evening.
Sunday was a scenic drive on Highway 24 to Colorado Springs with many stops for picture taking. Some of the aspen trees were just beginning to turn their brillian yellow color. We started a hike at The Crags, but it began to thunder & rain so we had to turn back.
Monday we took a local's recommendation for a hike. We drove into Glenwood Canyon. That is an amazing spot if you ever have the opportunity to experience it. We hiked up Hanging Lake Trail. It was steep & rocky with a beautiful mountain stream flowing beside the trail most of the way up. There were gorgeous moss-covered waterfalls near the top of the trail. Hanging Lake is a jewel of a spot - a crystal clear mountain lake near the top of the canyon. It was an awesome hike!

No comments: