Monday, June 16, 2008

Colorado

I went to Breckenridge, Colorado with 7 friends for a long weekend. We stayed in Janel’s uncle’s cabin – it was beautiful. The first day I drove down to Colorado Springs to spend a few wonderful hours with Jennette Ross and the kids. Travis was at work so I didn’t get to see him, but I had a great time catching up with Jennette and playing with the kids.
The 2nd day we went white water rafting with The Adventure Company in Buena Vista. Early June is peak water. We rafted 20 miles on the Arkansas River from Buena Vista into Browns Canyon. Because the water was running so fast they added 4-5 miles on to their typical full day excursion. It was Class II & III rapids. We had an absolute blast. In my boat, we lost Jeremy on a big rapid after lunch but got him back quickly. The photographer was right there and caught a great sequence of pictures of him falling out of the raft while Steve & I look aghast and Jen looks on nonchalantly. Unfortunately I don’t have those pictures to post at the moment. It was a great day. The backs of my hands were sunburned from holding the paddle out in the sun all day.
The 3rd day Jen, Steve and I did biking while the rest went horseback riding. We rented bikes in Frisco and they drove us up to Vail Pass. From there we rode on a paved bike path back down to Frisco, about 12 miles. Most of the time we were next to the rushing Ten Mile Creek. At Officers Gulch we took a break to tool around the lake and take a nap next to the creek.
It was a fun trip. We were early in the summer season. Peak water for rafting, and some things were open in Breck & Frisco, but it was fairly quiet. It was nice to be there before the summer rush.



No comments: