Sunday, January 29, 2012

New stuff

As you know, I did a sprint triathlon last fall.  Afterwards my schedule got crazy and I dropped off significantly on my workouts.  But as the new year approached I decided to kick it into gear again.  I did an indoor triathlon at the Y on Jan 15.  I finished a little better than I expected, in 1:02.  A friend did it with me and convinced me to do indoor tri's in Feb & March too.  But my biggest goal for this spring is to run the 10K for the Easter Sun Run.
I spent a lot of money last weekend in pursuit of these goals. I had to get new running shoes and love my new Mizunos.  So much lighter than my old shoes.
But the biggest and long contemplated purchase was a new bike.  I trained last year on my 1983 Schwinn 10-speed. When we first moved to Kansas, Mom saved her first few paychecks and bought us each a bike. It has served me well over the years.  I didn't want to buy a new bike until I was sure I was going to stick with this.  But by the time my triathlon came along, the bike was pretty much worn out for anything but a leisurely ride.  The gears started popping the week before the race.  I had it serviced but in the middle of the race it started acting up again and I just prayed the chain would stay on for me to finish.
So as a friend was sharing research when he was looking for a new bike recently, I decided to go ahead and take the plunge.  I invested in a new bike and it is so sweet!  A 2011 Trek Lexa S. I took it for a ride and the gears are so smooth and effortless. I'm loving it.

No comments: