Monday, January 7, 2008

Remind me why I do this?

I had a good reminder of why my job’s cool today. Up until then, I was near tears in frustration. Let me go back a little ways. For the last 2.5 months, I’ve been loaned out to different programs while decisions are made about the proposal team I’m on. I spent over a month in the test lab writing a desperately needed test plan. I spent a month on the 787 helping write structural repair manuals. And last week I was told to report to the 747-8. It’s not been a real fun week. I spent a day addressing computer access issues. Then I was given work to do but no clear direction. Between that and the continued computer issues, every time I think I’m making progress, something happens to put me back at square one. It’s been increasingly frustrated and there’s pressure to meet a very tight schedule. So it was a nice break when I was asked if I wanted to go out on the factory floor to look at part of the airplane. I found myself in the upper lobe of the 747 forward section looking at the parts I’m helping analyze for the new plane. For you non-enginerds, that’s basically the cockpit area – the upper deck of the 747. I have not been wandering around on the factory floor & inside airplanes in awhile. It’s easy to get frustrated & bogged down with the details of my job and forget that the end result is kinda cool.

That’s obviously true in life too. We get bogged down in the day to day details and forget that there’s a bigger picture.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:18

No comments: