Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving

Pastor Dave’s sermon on thanksgiving last weekend, reflecting on Psalm 100, was stirring - powerful for the whole year but particularly in this season of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. My earliest Thanksgiving memory is from when we lived on the farm in Canada; I was probably 5 or 6 years old. Canadian Thanksgiving is in October and there’s usually snow on the ground. The dining hall was set for dinner, the adults getting the food prepped, Dave Garriott in some tan plaid bellbottoms. (My sisters always say I remember odd details.) Thanksgiving fills me with cozy memories from early on. Through the years we’ve had it just with our family, included friends who didn’t have families to dine with, and gone to Aunt Marilyn’s in Missouri. I love what the holiday is based on – giving thanks for all God has blessed us with. I want to be more conscious of being thankful throughout the year of all the blessings in my life – family, faith, employment, shelter, friends, health.
I pray you have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Psalm 100
Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.
Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.

No comments: